Anything Left-Handed > Left Handers Club

The Left Handers Club

Left Handers ClubIn 1989 a we undertook a major survey of our customers to determine their degree of left-handedness and allow them to put their views and experiences. From the enormous response to this Survey, it became clear that many left-handers wanted a forum to discuss aspects of left-handedness on a continuing basis.

To meet this need, the Left-Handers Club was formed in 1990. The Left-Handers Club aims to keep members in touch with developments, make their views known to manufacturers and others, provide a help and advice line, to promote research into left-handedness and development of new left-handed items.

Since its formation the Club has gone from strength to strength with members all over the world and is highly regarded as the foremost pressure group and advice centre on all aspects of left-handedness. Most notably, campaigns by the Left-Handers Club have been responsible for:

• The modification of potentially dangerous hand-held power tools by a major manufacturer
  • The introduction of left-handed cheque books by all major banks in the U.K.
  • The production of the only training video for teachers & parents of left-handed children to show the best way to assist them in attaining the vital basic skills of handwriting, cutting etc. without difficulty or discomfort.

On 13th August 1992 the Club launched International Left-Handers Day, an annual event when left-handers everywhere can celebrate their sinistrality and increase public awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed. This event is now celebrated worldwide, and in the U.K. alone there were over 20 regional events to mark the day in 2001- including left-v-right sports matches, a left-handed tea party, pubs using left-handed corkscrews where patrons drank and played pub games with the left hand only, and nationwide “Lefty Zones” where left-handers creativity, adaptability and sporting prowess were celebrated, whilst right-handers were encouraged to try out everyday left-handed objects to see just how awkward it can feel using the wrong equipment!

These events have contributed more than anything else to the general awareness of the difficulties and frustrations left-handers experience in everyday life, and have successfully led to improved product design and greater consideration of our needs by the right-handed majority – although there is still a long way to go!!

48 comments on “Left Handers Club
  1. Maryann Snyder says:

I agree with so much I’ve read on here.
    Lefties to tend to have anxiety and schizophrenia, Im bipolar with psychosis and have had panic attacks since I was little.
    I don’t know if It’s all or most lefties, but everyone says Im weird lol

2. Jamie says:

born and bred to be leftie and proud i was never forced to go all out righthanded when i was a child i have to say im genius i can do anything as i please <3 yay

3. Simon says:

Hey fellow lefties, been a member here for ages now but never made a post before now, but thats our main problem !!! we put up with being forced into right handedness and just accept it and dont complain, well I’ve finaly had enough of one aspect of it and I’m getting nowhere trying to fight it solo.

So Hi, my name is Simon and I’m left handed and proud haha, Im a serious fan of PC gaming all my life (42 now so I’ve gamed since before PCs) The problem is that as technology is advancining, rather than more games supporting us lefties, more seem to be ignoring us, or more specificaly, ignoring how we have set windows mouse options to swap the mouse buttons. It’s not all game, but it has now become a majority.

So imagine you have set windows to left handed mouse mode, all is fine, enter game one and right click becomes left click, left click becomes right click, this game lets you change what mouse button does fire , which does aim, so menus are right handed, in game is left handed, go back to menu to save its right handed, then in game left handed, open inventory its right handed, exit game in total confusion not having a CLUE wether to right or left click on desktop icons or wether you should just throw your mouse at your monitor and walk away…….. Seems exagerated? no its not, in fact a lot of games are even worse than this esp when they include quick time events and scripted events (try far cry 3 as a leftie for total confusion)

I have made posts on the official forums for many many games that do this and so far only recieved 1 (ONE) official response from a moderator who promised to talk to developers, she did that (\o/) how ever the developer replied the next day telling us if we wanted to play left handed we could set the option in windows !! that was the last response, telling us to do what we were posting to say wasnt working.

The problem is the people who use internet forums (for games, or even this site here) is only a small portion of the actual comunity, then the people who actualy post on forums is only a small portion of that small portion who use forums. So out of this small/small portion of people who actualy do post on these forums (game forums obviously as more lefties post here ;p) the chance of anyone left being left handed is very small, and as I said at the begining of this post, out problem is we just acept things. A game or product ignores left handers, we stay quiet and just get on with it, we adapt, but if we want to change things, and common it’s 2014 GAMES SHOULD NOW RESPECT LEFT HANEDERS, then we need people voicing thier opinions on game forums so developers realise that I’m not the only lonie leftie out their shouting at them to stop making me left click when I want to right click.

Soo please guys and gals, I’ve spent years now begging game developers to fix thier ways with very little backup. we need to stand together on this and stop acepting their lazyness.

Simon (tyrolit on steam)

4. Linda says:

I am very left hand dominant and find doing anything with my right hand feels awkward and unnatural. I even switch back and forth with a knife and fork while eating, which used to drive my mother nuts when I was small, but I still do it to this day and I’m in my forties now. I was never taught how to write lefthanded or given any left handed scissors etc. I write with my hand curled around and the page at a forty five degree angle. If I have alot of writing to do my hand gets really cramped. My left handedness was pretty much ignored and I just taught myself and adapted I guess. I do remember my kindergarten teacher telling me I was stupid because I couldn’t catch on on how to tie my shoes! My older brother who’s also a leftie ended up showing me and then I caught on right away. I use right handed scissors with my left hand but my thumb gets really sore. Ir bought an electric can opener because I cant use a manual one. There are a lot of disadvantages but also a lot of advantages too. I am very creative and innovative and have the ability to visualize better than most. I won my first art award when I was eight years old and am now a professional artist.

5. Carisa says:

Hi my son is just about to turn 2 and does most things with his left hand. I always hear people say force him to use the right but I want to find out from a few left handed people if they wish they were forced to use the right hand or if life is not that more difficult. Also I was reading something that says that there is a link to lefties and anger issues I just want to see if anyone can she’d some light on this because I don’t want to force him to use his right hand for no good reason.

• David Robinson says:

I write with my left hand My left side is stronger ,for instance I kick a ball with my left foot,throw a ball with my left but there are many things I do right handed for instance I open my front door with my rh. I clean my spectacles right handed.Are right handed people completely right handed? Do they do nothing with their left hand? And for people who touch type, most of the most used letters in the English language are under the left hand So being left handed in a right handed world has some advantages.

6. Ashley says:

I was always forced to use my right hand growing up. Then when I had my son and he appeared until age 5 to be ambidextrous or more left handed in writing, I began to learn about the connections of the brain etc. he still writes with his left but does many things with his right hand or both hands. i decided to do research because I was amazed that even though he was born in 2000 many people still recommended that I start early in forcing him to be right handed because it would make his life easier so to speak. But his kindergarten teacher was an angel and helped him decide to write with his left and follow his instincts on which hand to use for everything. I hope that people can become more aware that we all have two sides and not one is better than the other.

• David Robinson says:

The late King George VI was left handed and was forced to write with his right hand. This contributed to his appalling stammer. So if you want to disadvantage your child do the same :force him to write with his right hand.

7. josue antonio says:

hopefully someone who hates leftys wont come in here and try to take a huge percentage of us down :/

8. Elizabeth says:

Anyone else read magazines back to front? I do everytime, because I’m “backwards”. I also struggle with my microwave.

9. Steph says:

This club is AMAZING but how do we log in and stuff and can we find out how many people are in the club 🙂

10. Nataliya says:

Hi! I was lefty until my grandma forced me to do everything with a right hand. I did not remember it, since I was 3 . Now my penmanship leaves much to be desired. I do everything with my right hand, but hold my bag in my left hand or over the left shoulder only. Is here anybody like me? I ‘ve got some questions.

11. saroja josephine jillella says:

hi this is Josephine
    i’m an engineering student
    and i’m proud to be a LEFTHANDER
    coz, where ever i go, i was being recognized due my way of writing……
    but being leftie i feel a little bit difficult in my lab sessions i.e in workshops, titrations and all due to the equipment which are in favor of righthanders….

12. kaumila says:

hi………….. i m 17 years old .i think this club helps to collect all the lefties into a one place, although we are in many countries.

13. Amy says:

I found this site years ago, when my son was about 2. I realized that he is a lefty and I realized that I needed to figure out how to teach him to write (I’m a righty, but not totally right-dominant). I started doing research and found out about left-handed scissors (and how they are different). My son has always had left-handed scissors (even in preschool when I had to buy them and send them to school). He has a left-handed guitar (which he doesn’t really play much) and left-handed golf clubs (he has weekly lessons). He has a left-handed baseball glove (well, it goes on his right hand, but you know what I mean). I even gotten him so left-handed pens (with a kind of odd shape, designed to allow him to see what he’s writing), but he likes regular pens better. I’ve tried to do everything I can to make sure that he doesn’t have to be the lefty kid that has to use righty stuff.

He’s a smart, creative kid with amazing visual-spatial abilities (as most male lefties are). His math skills are way above average, but he hates to read. Oh, well, I guess I can’t have everything, huh? 🙂 He’s the only lefty in the family (I do some sports left-handed, but I’m primarily righty).

Thanks for a great club and a great store!

14. chuck-o says:

I love being left handed. Some times it’s frustrating getting thru the day, the way things are arranged. At the work place, tools, driving etc. Eat both ways, when I get hungrey LOL. I through right handed, my right hand is stronger.

15. Jan says:

Hi all, I have been left handed since about 18months old when I was paralysed down my right side by a stroke or meningitis. I have 2 daughters, the eldest is 9 and left handed, the youngest is 4 and right handed. My eldest has recently asked me to teach her to crochet, so I have just ordered the Crochet Unravelled book from the site.

16. Andrew says:

My immediate family are all lefties(my wife and 2 sons aged 10 and 13), we are the only ones in the rest of the family that are left handed.I do everything left handed so I am what is called a dominant left hander. Have tried to do things right handed but they are nowhere near as good as with my left hand particularly writing. So glad this site exists for us lefties , have only just discovered it after all these years.

17. rainbow holmes says:

hello. Im Rainbow. (yes its my REAL name) im a leftie. and im the only one in my immediate family that is. my parents are both right handed. and out of the 5 kids, me being the second oldest, im the only leftie they had. i must say being a left hander in a house of right handed people was awful!! i did everything “backwards” to them. writing my name, reading clocks, braiding hair, everything. it was very frustrating. im 23 now and engaged to a right hander. 🙂 but i wanted to say thank you for making a club for us lefties!!

• Matildah says:

hi rainbow, my name is matilda and I jst wanted to say that your explanation is an exact description of who I am. I am the second eldest in a family of five and I am left handed.both of my parents are right handed and I am 23 and engaged to a right handed person.I am the only left handed person in my family. so, wow!!! so glad I read your comment. I’m glad there alot of people like me out there. This club is good. I wish we could have a world conference for left handed people organized by president Obama.lol…what wish

18. yolanda Gonzalez says:

Hi,I’m Yoly,left handed proud to be,but so dificult to do things in the right material world.

19. Jacquie says:

Hi! I’m a 14 year-old girl, and actually I think I’m a really weird case…. I write right-handedly but do everything else like eating, throwing (play handball), glue, brush teeth/hair… etc. with my left hand. I actually can write and draw really well with my left hand but prefer my right hand. I really don’t get how this is normal…??? And it is possible I was changed” when I was younger by my parents from lefty to righty but not sure…??
    THANKS

20. Andrew says:

I have a question. I write with my right, but I tend to do all my chores with my left. My handwriting is also quite bad and I believe that it is because I write with my right. My handwriting with my left is also pretty good, but I don’t have the speed.

I read that cobblers measure the left foot because right handers have their left foot bigger and vice versa. I’ve always had the gut feeling that I’m left-handed. So, with your experience, can you say whether I’m left handed or not? In case I’m, how to change?

• nichole greeson says:

You would have to do more tests.. i could ask you some questions and get someone to ask them to you and make sure the analyze your eye movement when answering questions. Email me back and i will give you the Qs..

21. Zafar says:

Hi.. M also a left handed.. I remember those day when i was in class 1 my teacher forced me to write from right handed bt i could not..then she scolded me…
    Bt i proud to b lefty..
    As i came to know about left hand club i join this

22. James says:

Hello,
    I joined this club to help and encourage my 9-year old son who is left-handed. I forced him to use right hand before. But, now I changed my mind and decided to help him.
    Good to know this forum.

A right-handed father from Korea

23. Jane Taylor says:

A message back to Tizzy,

South Paw refers to lefthanded boxers.

I also think it must be unusual to be lefthanded and have two left handed children. I read that you thought that they may be lefthanded because you are lefthanded and you did their homework with them. I have two children both their father and I are left handed, I did their homework with them and they are both righthanded.

24. Cally says:

I am a leftie too. Today only I come to know about left handers club Immidiatley I enrolled and became a member. The interesting part for me is I was born on 13 th August

25. Prashant says:

Wishing you all delayed Happy Left Handers Day!!!!!!

26. Prashant says:

Hi I write by left hand.
    I normally prefer my left hand when chat online.
    But I play cricket with right hand.
    I am a right hand batsman and left arm medium pace bowler.

27. Kylie says:

What an awesome site to have discovered. I had my left hand tied with a ribbon to my chair in my first year at primary school. My father, being a “Molly Dooker”, as is lovingly known by righties in Australia, soon straightened that out. In my family, 3 out of 6 are lefties and proud. What percentage of the world are left dominated?, I love this site. I can’t wait to fill my kitchen with my left user friendly eqipment and watch them “look awkward”. I hated having to remove the paper from my lever arch folder at school, what a real pain in the neck that was, I used to turn the folder around and write towards the arch. My teachers weren’t very happy about it but they never understood unless they were left handed too.

28. Mare says:

well, I have difficulty with my cash register at work.. I work at Macy’s and the alpha pads are on the right and I have to cross over keyboard with my left hand to enter hundreds of numbers every day. Also, the slot for scanning the barcodes of charge cards runs from right to left and the scanning gun is in the way when I scan it left to right. The locks on the bathroom stall doors go from right to left…Most toilet paper rolls are placed on the right of the seat….I drive as well going in reverse as I do driving forwards…I can write words from right to left almost perfectly….(mirror image)….the dishwasher in my home is on the right of the sink…..difficult to load….calculators geared for rightys. I have adapted to certain tasks merely because right handed people trained me, Examples are ironing, I golf right handed, I hit a ball with my right hand and I use scissors with my right hand. I love this site..OHHH…and one last thing….I got horrible grades in shorthand in high school because the symbols flowed right to left and I smeared my ink and when I made each word it felt jerky and uncomfortable….

29. DAZ says:

IM LEFT FOOTED TOO – GREAT TO SEE THAT WERE BEING CATERED FOR IN A COMMON RIGHT HANDED WORLD.

30. Katherine says: