Anything Left-Handed > Being LH Home > Lefty information > Advantages of being left-handed

Advantages of being left-handed

We often end up complaining about the frustrations of being left-handed, but there are plenty of advantages as well.

Here is a list that has been reported in various places recently – we have done features on most of these items before but it is nice to put them all in one place.   It would be great to make this list longer as well!   If you can think of any other advantages of being left-handed and, ideally, can provide some sort of research results or reporting to back it up, please add a comment below and we will expand the list.

10 Proven Benefits of Being Left-Handed

With only about 10% of the population being left handed, lefties are a serious minority. While they’ve endured a serious amount of prejudice (the word for left in almost every language has a less than positive connotation) and even aggression over the years, today, many left handed people are proud of their unusual handedness. And why not? After all, they have to survive and thrive in a world designed for those who are right handed. The next time someone teases you about your left handedness, bring up one of these facts that show that being left handed just might be a genetic blessing after all, offering you bigger and better abilities that can help you do everything from get a degree to kick butt at video games.

Here are the Top 10 advantages of being left-handed and also a few extras we have added from LHC member comments…

1. Being left handed is an advantage in many sports. You might just come out ahead in athletics if you’re a lefty. Since most players are right handed, many are unused to dealing with those who are left handed. Take baseball for instance. Southpaws have the advantage of already facing first base when they’re at bat, can more easily keep an eye on first base when pitching and can cover a large amount of the field when playing in the outfield by having their glove in their right hand. There are specially designed left-handed baseball gloves available (worn on the right hand so you can throw left-handed). Other sports that offer an advantage to lefties are fencing, boxing and tennis.
  2.  Lefties have a greater chance of being a genius- or having a high IQ. Researchers aren’t sure why, but those who are left handed seem to make up a disproportionately large part of those who are highly intelligent. For example, twenty percent of all Mensa members are left-handed. When you consider that less than 10 percent of the total population is left handed, this makes for a lot of smart lefties. Some think this genius stems from being forced to use both sides of the brain more often, allowing these individuals to more easily process a large amount of information.
  3. Left handed men may make more money. All that genius has to lead to something, right? According to studies, left handed males who have gone to college earn 13 percent more than their right handed counterparts. The causes of this difference are unknown, but the gap is statistically significant enough that its not a simple anomaly. Oddly enough, however, the results are quite different for women, with lefties earning 5% less than women who are right handed.
  4. Left handed people adjust more easily to seeing underwater. Bizarre as it may sound, one of the benefits of being left handed is being able to adjust more easily to see the world around you when you’re underwater. While you may not need this ability very often, it could come in handy if you live by the sea or enjoy swimming. While it’s not quite clear why this is so, scientists think it has something to do with a different part of the brain being dominant in left handed individuals.
  5. Lefties are better able to multitask. One of the advantages of being left-handed is that it forces your brain to think more quickly. What this means for everyday life is that those who are lefties may find it easier to multi-task and deal with a large, sometimes unorganized stream of information. Researchers found that conversations between the left and right sides of the brain happen more quickly in left handed people. The more dominant the left handedness is, the better these abilities are.
  6. Some left-handed individuals have better memories. While it isn’t true for all who are left handed, data from recent studies suggests that those who come from families of lefties tend to have better memories, though only of the episodic kind. The odd thing about this study, however, was that individuals didn’t necessarily need to be left-handed themselves to have a better memory- just come from a family of lefties. These studies show that traits related to handedness may be passed down separately, though some lefties would prefer to think that their left-handed benefits just rubbed off on their right-handed counterparts.
  7. Generally, lefties are better at playing video games. Some of the traits that make lefties better thinkers and multitaskers also make them better at playing video games. Research conducted by Dr. Nick Cherbuin shows that lefties are better at handing large amounts of stimuli, making them naturally better at killing zombies, playing virtual tennis or fighting off alien hordes in the virtual world.
  8. Left handed stroke victims recover faster than right handed stroke victims. While the reasons behind this aren’t entirely clear, some believe it’s due to left handed people having to strengthen both sides of the brain when navigating a right handed world. Because many lefties are better able to use their non-dominant hand, it is easier for them to recover from a stroke that damages one part of their brain. Of course, recovery for those suffering from a stroke is never easy, no matter which is their dominant hand.
  9. Left-handed people are likely to be more visual than language-based, making them ideal for artistic pursuits. Research has shown that university students are more likely to major in visually-based, as opposed to language-based, subjects when they’re left handed. While another study — not comprehensive at only 103 students — showed that within the sample, 47% of art students were left- or mixed-handed. If you want to be an artist this is an amazing benefit, putting you in the likes of greats like Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Rembrandt.
  10. Southpaw drivers are more successful at learning to drive than right handed people. If driving came easy to you, it might have a good deal to do with your left-handedness. A driving school poll found that 57% of left handers passed their driving test first time compared with only 47% of right handers. This is pretty amazing, considering that most cars are designed with right handed individuals in mind
    Is this true in all countries, regardless of whether they drive on the left or on the right?

Here are some others to think about…

• Be a faster typist- on a standard qwerty keyboard there are about 3400 words that can be typed solely with the left hand, compared to about 450 words typed solely with the right hand.
  • Less time in line. Studies show that most people veer to the right if there are multiple lines to choose from, but lefties tend to choose the line on their dominant side. A Disney World guidebook states that visitors   will spend much less time in line for attractions if they choose the left-hand side when given an option.
  • Get to choose your seat at the dinner table. Everyone knows you can't sit next to a lefty, otherwise you'll get your elbow bumped. Smart southpaws use this to their advantage to get a spot with more space. Unfortunately, this doesn't work as well at a circular table.
  • Have an easier time writing in Hebrew. Many Arabic languages, including Hebrew are written from right to left. This alleviates the problem that lefties have when writing.

Let us know what you think about these   and add any more advantages you can think of by adding a comment below.

Leave a Reply to Alexandros Kontos Cancel reply

482 comments on “Advantages of being left-handed
  1. Cat says:

I don’t understand the getting a better seat at the table one. If you are using a knife and fork in the correct manner then you are using both hands. The only advantage left handers have is that the left hand being dominant they may have better control over their fork than a right hander may do. Can anyone explain what is meant by this one?

• Mahva says:

Being left handed, I don’t sit on the right of right-handed people. This usually means that I’ve got a corner at the table, which gives me more room. This minimizes the chance to bump someone’s arm, glass or other things when dining.

• Torrence says:

If you are bringing the food to your mouth with your right hand, and the person next to you is bringing the food to their mouth with their left hand, the arms and hands bump each other. This isn’t the same as cutting food, which is used with both hands.

• Travis says:

What was meant I believe is that left handers get placed at the head of a long table or an end. This has always been my expierence.

• Susan Smith says:

It was not until I was an adult that I became aware of the switching of the hands for cutting. My mother was older when I was born, so, aside from the basic manners, I think she just gave up. I was taught to eat- unknowingly at the time – in the continental manner, so my fork and knife never change hands. My sons, however, mimicked their father and eat American style.

• Cindy says:

I started thinking of my placement at the table at an early age….
      I always try to sit at the end of a table so I don’t bump elbows with the person next to me, which is generally a right handed person…it sure makes eating more pleasant…lots of my friends now realize what I am doing and are always accomodating : )

• Elizabeth says:

I’m a lefty and I eat american style, with my left hand. And I always sit on the left corner of the table. Afew years ago I badly sprained my right wrist playing tennis. When that happened I learned to use the sideof mt fork to cut my food and eat with only one hand. I also now playe tennis and badminton with my left hand where previously I played with my right hand.

• Tayeb says:

Hi dear Cat
      As a left-handed I suppose your question can be answered by keeping this famous proverb in mind: “practice makes perfect”. suppose there are lots of people who were samples of lefties but following some bad events such as a terrible accidend they lost their left hand and started to use their right one in an appropriate manner.
      I wish you the best my dear
      Tayeb Hassan-pour, Iranian university studend majoring in English lg. translation

• Jenny says:

Cat, another explanation to your question would be that if you use chopsticks, as I do in an asian family, it can be a much bigger problem. Either your elbow bumps into other people, or your chopsticks do. To avoid so, sitting on the left end of a table helps a lot.

2. Susantha says:

I think being left handed has both advantages and disadvantages. At cricket i was effective as a left handed bowler. As a golfer I think left handers tend to “slice” more than right handers. Also most golf courses are designed to catch the leftie “out of Bounds”. As a student, a long time ago Chemistry titrations with a burette was difficult for left handers. The same applied to Physics experiments involving parallax, refraction, focussing etc.
    I agree that in general lefties record higher IQs. Of course lefties cannot play hockey.

• Mahva says:

Leftys can’t play hockey? Since when? I played hockey when I was a child. While my stick was made for a right handed person, I used it the way I did my racquets and other things and drove the other team crazy. Everyone always shouted that I was playing wrong. Coach then realized that I was left handed. Just adapt to what you’re given and use it to your advantage.

• Travis says:

Was that a joke that left handers can’t play hockey? 90% of the NHL are left hand shots despite many being right handed.

• Holly says:

Well I don’t know what the NHL hockey sticks are like but I remember playing hockey at school in the UK and it was extremely difficult with a right-handed stick as the bottom part is curved on one side. As a lefty, holding the stick the other way round (left hand lower for better control instead of right) the curved part would be the bit you had to hit the puck with and it just doesn’t work! The sticks were quite heavy (wooden) and it was really tough to control them the ‘right’ way. Not sure if I’ve made sense.. 🙂

• Elizabeth says:

What do you mean leftys can’t play hockey? I play left handed and have a big advantage over the righties. The never know where I’m gonna shoot since I can go both ways. When I play goalie however I play right handed simply because that is the equipment I had to play with. But my right handed brother cannot play goalie right handed, he plays left.

3. Anne O'Mahony says:

Had to laugh at the comment about having an excellent sense of direction. I am renowned in the family for not having one! I can get lost going round a roundabout!
    As I live in France I am also driving on the “wrong side” of the road. It’s far easier to change gear with your left hand than the right or is that just me?

• Anne Brown says:

Me too… perhaps it’s the name as well as the left-handedness! I have a dreadful sense of direction, and often come out of shops and head off confidently, only to have to turn around before too long…

• Lesley-Ann says:

Well, I was pleasantly surprised at the not getting lost. As a left-hander I’ve found myself to be excellent at directions. Once proper directions are given to me, I tend to find the place first time. But I never attributed this to being left-handed.

• Anne says:

Dear Annes!

I, too, am an Anne with an ‘e’! My sense of misdirection is legendary. My daughter teases me that I can get lost, even with a GPS. Maybe, we need to do a study on lefties named Anne and sense of direction!

4. Dale Nees says:

Here in the USA we often use the drive up window at restaurants and drug stores. Our left arms stick out the car window so we leftys are always more efficient at using drive up windows.
    Nearly all powered woodworking equipment are unsafe for leftys, especially circular saws. When Porter Cable came out with a left handed model I got one. Now I have a good excuse for not loaning it out

• Anne says:

I, too, have had trouble with circular saws. I have to be VERY careful to loop the cord over my arm, to keep it out of the way of the blade. It gives me time to make sure that I have on my eye protection, etc…, so I think I’m safer than some folks. It sure looks funny to the righties, though!

5. LaRue Wunderlich says:

This is not exactly an advantage, but it does indicate how one adapts to the right handed world.
    I got a left-handed corkscrew. When using a right-handed corkscrew, I put the tip of the screw in the cork, hold it steady and upright, and then turn the bottle. I have used the left-handed corkscrew in the normal manner. However, I have found when I extract the corkscrew from the cork I have become so used to the way a right-handed corkscrew works that I screw the cork I screw it into my hand.

It is fun, however, to hand the corkscrew to a right-hander and watch the show.

6. Stephanie Hayes says:

I believe we left handers are more observant than our right-handed counterparts. Over the years (I’m 64 now!) I’ve done my own amateur market research and asked left and right handers at random if they notice someone is left or right. Invariably the right-handers don’t BUT left-handers always are aware if a person is left or right. I worked with a colleague for over 3 years and close to my leaving the company, writing at her desk, she commented, “Oh Stevie, I didn’t realise you were left-handed!”
    Has anyone else made these observations?

Lefties Rule!!

• Jess says:

Ya, I noticed the same thing – we lefties always notice each other, while right-handed people never notice!

• Charlie says:

Yes !! Especially while watching TV or reading magazines. I’m always looking for one of us out there.. and I can strike up conversations easily with them as we…

• Karyn M. says:

I agree, Stephanie! I always notice if a person is left or right handed. My husband, who is a righty, NEVER notices unless I point it out!

• ellen ternes says:

Watch people applauding. Most people kind of hold up one hand and clap the other one into it. I, a lefty, hold up my right hand and clap my left hand into it. My few left handed friends say they do the same. On the other hand (pardon the pun) right handed people I’ve asked hold up their left and clap their right into it. My quick and totally unscientific observation of groups of people applauding finds most people holding up the left and clapping with the right, which would correlate with the majority of most groups being right handed. Try to clap opposite from the way you instinctively do. It feels weird.

• Debby says:

I am left handed in most things, however I must be clapping right handed as I hold up my left hand and clap my right into it. I am also right eyed and eared. My brain must be really messed up..

• Mahva says:

Stephanie:

I believe this to be true. I’m always watching people’s movements and make comment when I notice that someone’s lefty. You are also correct that rightys don’t notice this at all. They seem to assume that everyone else is right handed.

My hubby and son are right handed, which I feel sorry for them on. It still drives hubby wild that I’m always veering to the left, especially at the grocery check out. We don’t wait in line much when I’m “driving”.

• Anne Brown says:

Yes, it’s almost instinctive. I love spotting other lefties!

• Ahmed says:

I myself am always on the look out for fellow lefties. For everyone else who does the same, it is most likely because like anyone, and everything else, we need to find a sense of belonging, which is with left handed people, which in turn are rare, so we are constantly on the look out.

• Holly says:

Definitely! Often it’s a give away if someone wears their watch on the right wrist (not always). I don’t consciously seek lefties out but I often notice if someone is one and feel an immediate kinship with them!

• Elizabeth says:

Haha! Yeah lefties are wayyyy more observant that righties! I notice who is left handed by looking to see which hand they use on a touch screen device like and ipod or iphone. I take public transit so I have the opportunity to observe lots of people. We lefties notice eachother! Right handed people are oblivious….

• cheryl says:

Your comment made me laugh – I had been close friends for 13 years before she realized I was left-handed !

• Sarah says:

Oh absolutely! I always notice whether someone is left handed. If you remember the dancing cockatoo on YouTube, I noticed that the bird was left footed! Watch it and see if you don’t think so, too.

7. Dale Must says:

Lefties are often ambidextrous. When I played baseball, I pitched and played center field. I could bat right or left handed and can play billiards the same way. When I was in Columbus ,Ohio for a seminar, we stopped at a left handed shop. There wasa sign that read “I used to be right handed, but overcame that handicap”. I would love it if this site would have a store for us lefties. I find the learning capacity and memory of lefties is true. While in college, the only courses I had to buckle down and study were Accounting some electives, and Abnormal Psychology. Folks, maybe there is a shop out in cyber space for lefties. Do a search.

8. Jawn says:

That’s why I’m proud do be a lefty haha and I’m very good at sports such as my favorite one Tennis, Table Tennis, Badminton and other hand-eye coordination sports.
    Go all of us lefties 😀

• Holly says:

I love badminton and my coach (a rightie) said that he’d noticed that many lefties were better players with a wider range of shots. Our forehand plays to the opponents backhand which tends to be their weaker one so we can win shots easily… but we’re also strong on our own backhand because we most often play righties and so get to practice using ours a lot meaning the rightie is stumped. All in all, we can return ‘difficult’ shots with more ease than many right handed players!

• John Santana says:

To tell you the truth,
        I’m not really smart in any subject besides math and music theory,
        I do however play the Violin, and I can fix and build computers and fix cars,
        It is true that I can see underwater better
        I love being left handed but never knew how important it was until today.

9. Javer says:

left-handed people are smarter!!

im left-handed and i often get straight A’s…and guess what?? 4 of my cousins are also left-handed and two of them also get good exam reports!

this is year i was offered to go to my state 2nd best achived high school at first i was afraid that i would be considered “different” because of my left-handedness but i was supprised that a lot of the students there are also left-handed!!

10. leftholic says:

If I have another life I will choose to be lefty again and again and again.

lefty have excellent sense of directions, they do not get lost that easy.

11. Ghibek says:

As a left handed person, i feel privileged and opportune because i always stand out wherever i find myself. It is unique being a lefty.

12. Dale Allen says:

Since polar bears can’t write, how do we know they are left handed?

13. Edward Hill says:

What was said about strokes & brain hemorrhages should also apply to Alzheimers. I have read that more intelligent, more active persons suffer less from the symptoms, even though they have as much physical brain damage as other victims.

14. Kristina says:

By way of a little correction…lefties are not facing first base, but their backs are towards it, making it a bit slower to have to turn all the way around to run, but nevermind, we do seem to manage! Lefty batters are difficult to pitch to, which is why the ability to “switch hit” is so valuable.
    Lately I have noticed a great deal of “left handed” actors in commercials here in the USA, both in print and on TV. I put LH in quotation marks because I get the feeling that they are doing some trickery and reversing the angle, after the fact. I think this is done because the dominant world will prefer to read the text in an ad on the right side of the page or screen and if they make the actor seem LH, it clears the way for an unobscured shot of the person holding a fork or pen or whatever. The thing is–as a lefty I can “tell” that it is often faked, because the hand and actor look awkward. But I guess it shows the righties really need us! Anyone else notice this?
    Happy Holidays to All

• Kandy says:

Actually as a Mom of a lefty who play softball who is also a switchhitter , their back is faching 1st base initially but when they hit the ball and follow through with their swing properly they should be facing 1st with at least 1 or 2 steps closer to the base giving them a good lead running. I have also found most switch hitters are predominatly left handed.

• Mahva says:

The article was speaking of pitchers, not batters.

• Torrence says:

He was referring to pitching with a runner on base. In that case, the pitcher is facing first base when attempting to pick off a runner.

15. Andy says:

New to the club and WOW lots of details of interest. Point of interest, after my
    brain surgery I started eating with left hand. Told it my surgeon and he woke up
    and wrote it in his Dr’s recovery notes. Raised in the Napa Vally on a pear farm. My
    grandmother who was a handsome woman resembled Elanore Roosevelt with arms like
    Pop Eye would tie my left arm behind me with rope during meals. Probably should
    thank her.

16. Teresa says:

I have to say that, while there is a cognitive ability in being left-handed while gaming, any advantage is lost, due the the lack of left-handed controllers (for all non-PC gaming units). I find this very frustrating, as do other left-handed gamers, because no-one makes left-handed controllers. Perhaps this would be a fruitful endeavour? Using a right handed controller means that the buttons are on the wrong side, so your reactions are slower. Argh!

• Mahva says:

Don’t need a left-hand controller. I can’t use a mouse with the buttons set up for leftys because there was no choice when they were first made. Most game controllers have dual buttons and the ability to decide how they’re set up, so this should solve your problem.

I don’t even think about it.

• Zaid says:

Not for me though. I’m a natural lefty and also a natural gamer.

17. Steen S. Nielsen says:

There are something I do not understand – we have 12 commandments, and I can see, there is a lack for the next two.

Number 11 is:

That all “lefties” are better looking than anybody else, and a Cochrane will confirn it, I think…

The 12 commandment Is:

That all “Lefties” can do every thing better than everybody else. We just need a little time extra.

Greetings Steen

• Catherine says:

I agree left handed people need a little more time. Well that’s my experience in school my teachers considered me intelligent but I always needed more time to understand some concepts.

• Jess says:

Possibly we are more visually oriented?

• Mahva says:

I needed more time on simple concepts. I’m still that way. I couldn’t make cookies until I was 39 and cried when I was finally successful.

If it’s something complex and obscure, I’ll get it in miliseconds. If it’s something simple and easy, my brain can’t believe that it’s as simple as that and I need to really get my head around it.

Still drives some crazy that I’m this way. Oh well.

• Charlene says:

I’m the same about seeing the difficult and yet tripping over the easy. An example: Although I passed geometry with B’s I’ll always wonder how because solving for theorems in plane geometry was extremely difficult, and I often came to class with many neatly drawn but unworked problems. However, when the occasional problem came up that no one else could solve, that would be the one problem that was a piece of cake for me. I found solid geometry easier, too. I would just see the problem in three dimensions in my mind. As I think back, now, I think I got through plane geometry with extra credit problems in solid geometry.

• Ahmed says:

I sometimes spend up to 3x as much time on my calligraphy as a right handed person simply because everything, including EVERYTHING has to be done right handed, not because of smearing the ink, but rather because of the shape and direction of the stoke. It drives me nuts that I have to turn the paper many times to write one character. It’s quite irritating. Also, anyone else have the issue of spelling >becasue< like that before spell check?

• Mahva says:

Ahmed:

I don’t have trouble with because my trouble is with b’s and g’s. I’ve typed gabbage and bargage too many times to count. I have to stop and think before I type those words.

18. Yosef Bar-On says:

Left-handed fencers (like myself many years ago) have a most definite advantage over the others. When facing a left-handed fencer one faces a totally reversed situation and the fencer loses time and is disoriented enough to very often lose matches!

Of course this is true even for the left-handed fencer, when he or she faces another lefty…
    🙂

• Sarah says:

Quite true! I used to fence, and I recall once hearing an opponent moan in despair when he saw that he was up against a lefty! It was always worth at least one point, I always thought.

19. Rachel Chaple says:

Having to do a secretarial course soon after the war, I tackled shorthand. I started doing it from right to left which seemed sensible (no smudging and quicker) but was told off by the old dragon. “How would anyone else be able to read it?” I should have told her they could have used a mirror. By the time I was working my boss used a tape recorder. Am very glad of the touch typing now, though.

20. Dr. Bob. says:

I’m a retired University lecturer. It was a great advantage to use the left hand at the blackboard so I wan’t obscuring from the students what I was writing or drawing. On the downside, all the equipment like slide projectors and overhead projectors in lecture theatres are designed for right-handers, but I’m ambidextrous because at my very first writing lesson at primary school, the faggot of a teacher whacked the knuckles of my left hand with her wooden ruler and insisted I go right. I can vouch for stroke victims recovering; my career was brought to an end when Fate delivered a brain heamorrhage (called “stroke” by some but I’ve since learned that’s a bit of a bucket term). So I had a close encounter with the Grim Reaper. While on the operating table, I had a discussion with the neurosurgeon (yes! it is possible; the brain has no pain receptors – the only anaesthetic is a local at the femoral artery in the groin where a catheter is inserted). I commented to him that the arrangements in the operating theatre were distinctly biassed toward right-handed neurosurgeons, but he said he could manage on either side, so we went on to talk about my specialist subject – geology – in the context of his hill-walking interests, while following the action on an enormous screen – I am priviledged to have seen inside my own brain with blood surging along some of the principal arteries. The aneurism (we with brain damage get to learn a lot of greek!) was on the right side, so I am blessed with a certain left side ataxia, but my clinical psychologist reported >>in writing<< that she could find no cognitive deficienclies – so life is converging towards normality.

• Dale Must says:

I was on vacation in New England. My brother said we had to house sit a house in Woods Hole, Mass. I balked at this idea, but went ahead anyway. No TV and one little cd player. There were pics of the ocean floor everywhere.I kept wondering “Who is this person”? While we were minding his house< Bob Ballard, a PHD in geology, found the Titanic. I still wear a hooty bearing the name Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. What are you interested in? National Geographic has some good books on geology. Do you like Civil War, Jazz, baseball. Ken Burns produced and directed some of the best documentaries on the forementioned. I got mine at Amazon.comHe recently did another series on the National Parks. any questions, ask

• Mahva says:

I had a teacher tell me that I was a child of Satan because of being left handed. It was her last day on the job after I told my mom about it at lunch.

There are two leftys amongst us kids, and my daughter is also left-handed. The only disadvantage is that some of us can be dyslexic. I still have some trouble with b’s and g’s on the keyboard. Had to help my daughter with this when she was learning to read.

I also altered the way that I hold a pin because I got tired of the side of my hand being black or blue from dragging in the ink. People don’t immediately notice that I’m lefty because of this. My eldest brother still writes with “the hook”.

• Charlene says:

Mahva, I was so sorry to hear what your teacher said. I hope you have gotten over that completely. If the good God did not want left handed people in the world he would not have created us so. It’s horrible that people can be so prejudiced about it. None of my teachers ever said anything so wrong, but a few tried to change me.

• Mahva says:

This world would have already blown up if not for us lefties. We keep things balanced since we can see the whole picture better than the left-brained among us.

21. Dorothy says:

I’ve been in Accounting all my life and I can do my work faster because I use the calculator with my right hand and write down the figures with my left. I don’t have to stop and put down or pick up the pen to write.

22. Anonymous says:

I’m wondering about the driving study, because Brits drive on the opposite side, unlike the rest of the world, so perhaps that might give Lefties the advantage. I live in the US and always felt I’d be way more comfortable driving that way.

• Anon. says:

Understand – one of my first driving mistakes soon after I was on the road, was one day pulling onto the wrong side….and the disturbing thing was that for that fast moment (till my passenger began to complain loudly) it felt so right.

• Egon says:

Brits are not the only ones in the world 🙂 i was born a left hander,in country where the steering wheel is on left side,like most of world,and i havent found any difficulty when it comes to driving..moved to another country,traffic like in UK,and it took a while to get used to a wheel on right side,because now,my dominant hand was changing gears,instead of firmly holding the steering wheel..Im able to drive both ways perfectly,but prefer wheel on the left side,with safety in mind 🙂

• Paul says:

I learned to drive in the US, so on the left side of the car, but have been fortunate enough to spend time in 3 different countries (including the UK) where I drove on the right side of the car. Although driving opposite of what you learned originally takes some concentration at first, it becomes rote after not too long of a time. I was disappointed, however, the first time I drove the “British” way… As a kid, I used to shift gears for my mom while I was sitting in the passenger seat in the US (so with my left hand). I always imagined that in the UK, the stick shift would be mirror-image, but it’s not… So was disappointed to find out that I still had to push the stick away from me for first gear. I was lucky enough to have had practice “shifting backwards”, so shifting from the right side wasn’t a problem for me… Still seems that first gear should be towards you and up, even from the right side of the car….

23. Margaret. says:

What a pity that so many L-Handers write ‘hooked’. I hold my pen in the normal way and am often complimented on my handwriting. A question of being taught properly when very young! However, I do agree that calligraphy is very difficult for us lefties, even with a reverse oblique nib. I know because I’ve tried.

• Jolitta Young says:

I am the same way as you margaret. i hold my pen the normal way also and receive many complements about my handwriting. i tried mimicking those lh who write hooked with the paper straight it just doesnt work for me at all! i prefer holding my pen straight with the paper tilted to the side.

• Valerie says:

I also write with my hand straight, I cannot imagine that using the hooked arm way is at all comfortable. I have also been told my writing is good.

• janie says:

I also tilt my paper when writing and do not hook my hand. I have very nice writing…it was a little hard sometimes as a teacher due to right handed equipment…

• Anon. says:

Same for me. Totally understand!

• Anne-Marie says:

Writing hooked is not about proper instruction in every case. I wrote holding the pen the normal way until I was about 13. Then I had a teacher who constantly critiqued my writing, and the only way to placate her was to start writing hooked. If that had never happened, I probaly would never have started.

• Mahva says:

Not going to make assumptions as to teaching/learning practices. My handwriting is terrible because I choose to write as I wish. There are times, as late as a few days ago, where I’ve written something and couldn’t begin to tell you what it was.

When I do wish to write for others, it takes me forever because my brain’s going thousands of times faster than my head and I’d much rather type whatever it is I’m saying. I type at nearly 100 wpm, so it’s more efficient. I’ve taken to just typing whatever I need and handing that to the person.

I was taught to write well and do not write with a hook. My paper must be aligned horizontally so that the lines are vertical on the page. Never cared as to whether or not someone liked my handwriting.

24. sheila says:

i agree with hebrew would be easier to write for lh people. I ‘ve tried writting backwards many times and it seems to just come natural, like that’s the way we should be writting.

25. Leslie says:

I find that I can use the mouse with either hand, so that if I need to use the number pad on the keyboard, I can still navigate with the mouse left-handed. It is useful to be able to write lefty while mousing or talking on the phone on the right, but I do find that I tend to be left-ear dominant. I answer the phone, then have to switch to the other ear so I can take notes!
    I’ve also made the case for getting special pens for writing at work. I have to write a fair amount in my job, and I hook my left hand. I avoid some of the tendonitis that I used to get by having very smooth pens that are the envy of others in the office.

26. M.Angus says:

Using computer;if you use the mouse in your right hand from the start, then your left hand is free to write notes-big advantage.

27. Barbara Harling says:

There are many advantages to being left handed, except one! Calligraphy! As I am a hooked left hander, it has been difficult to learn this. I have, however, conquered most of it, but have cursed many times the fact that I am not right handed!

• Stephanie says:

oh, I totally agree about lefties doing calligraphy. I took a class and was so frustrated as my hand blocked the lines/strokes I was making. When I began the class, I didn’t even realize I need to buy left-handed nibs for the pens!

• Jatna says:

I remember I used to do the caligraphy as a must-do, not as a like-do so I did it quickly and badly. In fact, I could write beautifully in my notebook, but not at my caligraphy- until much later on.

28. Peter Stevens says:

‘THE KINGS SPEECH’ is a must for us lefties, he was of course, a converted leftie who had a cruel, domineering father, who ridiculed him.

29. Peter Stevens says:

My theory is that LH people are more resistant to communicable diseases than our RH cousins, no magic, we shake hands with our right hand but touch our face with the left!
    Did you know that all polar bears are LH [ they can also be cannibals but we wont go into that here!]
    Regards
    Peter
    How about selling some LH Keyboards??

• Jolitta Young says:

i never thought of that theory peter and i can see the logic of it. we do shake with the right hand and touch the left side of our faces. well at least i know i do all the time!

• Holly says:

Intriguing theory! Would that be an evolutionary advantage though..? In which case you would expect left handedness to be on the increase if it were completely gene driven..

• Starr says:

Good point, Peter. There have been times when the whole family got sick except me. And here I thought I had a superhuman immune system. Oh, well.

30. Mihir says:

I agree with the place settings alright!

It is especially useful when one does not want to sit next to somebody … just use the hand preference to change places!

• LeftyLuvBeing says:

We lefties do have an advantage at the dinner table! That fork is set by our dominant hand. Ever notice that righties have to reach over their food to get their fork, risking dragging a sleeve through the stew? Or they have to use two hands, picking up the fork in the left and handing it to the right. Either way they’re slower to start digging into dinner. I always point this out to righties when they make a sympathetic comment as I take my place at the left corner of the table. They don’t seem to notice that they are at a disadvantage with the place setting, OR that I got to sit next to the most interesting person at the table!

• nichelle johnson says:

I have a 6yr old son who is left handed and his memoon skills are off the charts…he can memorize words for a spelling test within 30min to a hr it it freaks me out. My 6yr old can build thing’s just by looking at the picture. I just notice it takes a little longer to write things8v5p