Anything Left-Handed > Being LH Home

Welcome to our lefty information section

We have built up a huge library of information about lefthanders and being left-handed over the past 40 years and we are adding it all to this website so you can share it, add your own comments and advice and pass it on to others.

You can use the horizontal menu at the top to select product sections in our online shop or the Left-Handed Information menu to the right so find out more about Being Left Handed.

Index page for all of our surveys on left-handedness with analysis of results
(this is on our www.lefthandersday.com website - opens in a new browser tab)

Left Handed Shop

Shop

Click Shop Online then choose the product sections you want or use the search box to find things.

Left handed information

Information

This section - our pages about being left-handed. You can add comments to the pages and we will add relevant new material to our pages to keep them up to date.

Left handed blog

Blog

We write blog posts to highlight new items on the site and all sorts of small "news" items. Use the "News Categories" menu on the right and the "Latest Posts" section to browse posts.

Search for left handed information

Search

Search for information or products using one of the boxes above.

rss feed

Click the RSS News Feed at the top right to add our feed to your favourite Reader and you will be sent details of all new items that we add to the site.

Register to add comments

Questions?

Click here to see our page on how to get your questions answered

Join The Club

The Left Handers Club has been going since 1990 and we send a monthly email newsletter to all members.

left hand thumbs up

We love to get your feedback and a lot of the information and products we have created are as a direct result of requests from customers and site visitors.

142 comments on “Being LH Home
  1. Meredith says:

Hi!
    My sewing scissors have been in heavy use since home mask-making became important. (I live in the USA where the medical supply chains are struggling.) The scissors started getting dull, so I researched sharpening options using what I already have at home. I ended up selecting option #3 here https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/a30615104/how-to-sharpen-scissors/, cutting sandpaper.

As far as I can tell, this made them more dull! I now have to put even more side pressure to make sure they cut, instead of bend the fabric, because, as many lefties do, I use righty scissors. I was thinking, perhaps since I was cutting the sandpaper lefty that sharpened the wrong part of the blade, making it worse. Have you all ever come across this? Do you have any thoughts on if this is possible?

Next I tried cutting the sandpaper righty, but cannot tell if that helped, and was too annoyed to continue. haha
    Thank you for you thoughts!
    -Meredith

2. Mrs. Lucille Burns says:

Dear Donna,
    Re: your left-handed child–
    Make sure the paper is positioned parallel to the left arm when the lefty writes. [note-a right-hander positions the paper parallel to the right arm.
    My Father was left-handed [ a left-handed telegrapher, also, who was a railroad station agent] and went to my school when I started and made sure the teachers knew about me and that they were not to change a thing!!
    Love to Lefties, Lucille Burns[will be 90 years old next birthday]

3. Mrs. Lucille Burns says:

Please remove the “Mrs.” from my name.
    Insert as: Lucille Burns

4. Anita says:

I am from a family of six – 4 kids and parents. My parents and brother are righties, but my two sisters and I are left handed. Each of us is left handed to a different degree so to speak for while one of them is totally left handed, my youngest sister will use her right when using a knife. I am ambidextrous as I write and eat left handed, but throw balls and such with my right. I can use both for it, but generally use my right. I would like to get a lefty bowling ball and see how I do, because I really want the world to know I’m a proud lefty!

Now I have three grown sons. One is a righty, the youngest is ambidextrous who chooses to be right handed, and my middle son who due to cerebral palsy which affects his left side is forced to be a righty. I say that because he’s quite clumsy with his right hand and his penmanship is just like mine when I use my right hand.

On both sides of our families, my husband’s and mine, there are lefties. I’m the only one though, who slants my papers right and no one can tell by my writing that I am left handed unless I deliberately slant my letters. My penmanship is messy nowadays whatever hand I use, as I use the computer more than I use a pen.

My sisters and I were never hassled by any teacher for being left handed – although my first grade teacher must have had a few things to mention to my parents as for the first few weeks of school, I wrote everything right to left. I still remember, 63 years later, my mother meeting my dad at the door when he got home from work and shoving my papers at him. “Look at this!” He looked and then said mystified, “Why did you do this?” Then even more so as he took a second look at them all, “HOW did you do this?” Makes me smile every time I think of it. Was just natural to me then. Apparently, my sisters never displayed that feat.

When my niece told me her youngest was going to be a lefty, I was so thrilled! Told her not to make a big deal of it as if he was disabled, just let him be. Encourage him and help him – I directed her to this site at the time – plus I’d started my own site to encourage lefties to be proud of it and embrace it, not look at it like a curse or disability, and to inform righties who live with lefties to be supportive and not discourage their kids or other relatives as if they’re doing something “wrong”.

I love being a lefty. My sisters are comfortable being lefties and wouldn’t change it. I believe that’s because our parents and our teachers were smart enough to let us be who we were. We hadn’t a clue we were “different” until much later on when we were old enough not to care what others thought. I don’t recall anyone ever making remarks about having to eat beside any of us. I kept my elbows in if I had to sit in the middle at a large gathering and all went well. I do sit at the end of a table if I can get to that seat first though. 🙂

One summer, when a friend and I were unemployed, having been laid off and wanted to stay that way for a few weeks) we found a few places who reluctantly turned us away as their machines could accommodate only right handers. We cheerfully reported that fact back to the people at the unemployment office and enjoyed our summer off. Eventually, we were called back to our original jobs – where we wanted to be anyway.

Love being Lefty!

5. Ferlin says:

Re: Widdershins
    This term comes from a form of paganism (wicca), and was co-opted by witch hunting christians. It simply means to perform ritual dancing in a counter clockwise circle, rather than clockwise, which is known as deosil.

That being said, as an auto racing fan I know that circle track racing is almost always a widdershins sport, hence the saying “Go fast – turn left”.

6. Joe Lawson says:

IN RE: allergies and left-handers — I’m a 69 year-old male lefty. While I have mild allergy symptoms during the Spring and Fall seasons, I don’t usually suffer from other common allergens including Poison Oak/Ivy or foods. I’ve had a few small outbreaks in the past of eczema and psoriasis which were cleared up by mild steroid cream. I’ve suffered a nuisance level from Familial/Essential Tremor my entire life. My major genealogy is 53% West European, 25% Ireland, and basically 7% each Scandinavian, Great Britain and “other.”

7. jim says:

Hi,left handed and proud,can any one tell me why you mount a horse on the left side putting your left foot in the stirrup and holding the sadle with your left hand to get on the horse lol.

• Anita says:

Goes back to the earliest days when soldiers used horses for war and wore their swords at their left side, so they could draw them out with their right hand. If they were to mount from the right, the sword would’ve been in the way.

I mounted my horses from both the left and the right. Partly because I wanted to be able to do that and wanted my horses to be good with my getting on either side, because occasionally I’d find myself in a situation where mounting from the left just wasn’t gonna be easy or even possible. And partly because Native Americans mounted from the right. I’m of Native descent, so like being a proud lefty, I’m proud of that as well.

8. Barry Heath says:

Hi guys;
    After many years of suffering ‘orthodox’ scissors, pens and similar, I found, during a spell in the USA, that left-handed implements are almost Federally mandated under their equality legislation, but in this country we’re still slightly freaky. I was therefore pleased to find you. I’ve ordered both GP scissors and nail scissors in the expectation of finally being able cut my nails without contorting my hands and feet.
    I also looked at your kitchen knifes, and I have to disagree with your premise that a knife must be ground or serrated on the right to be useful for a left-hander. I have owned for many years a set of Tesco Professional kitchen knives – beautiful knives, high quality MnVaCr stainless steel that hold a wonderful edge. The bread knife is ground with right hand serration, and it is a *nightmare* to use. The right-hand serration causes the knife to slide to the left when cutting the left hand ‘end’ of the loaf, meaning that the slice is never parallel faces, but tapers to nothing at the bottom. It’s the same effect when slicing meat. The serration, and the grind, to my mind need to be on the left, so that the slice is pushed away from the body of the piece. and the flat edge of the blade move straight against the bulk.
    There again, I’ve always been an awkward so-and-so, so maybe it’s just me doing it wrong again.
    I’d b interested to hear your thoughts.

• jim says:

Hi,we used to have a kitchen shop in town selling knifes ect,the wife bought a knife for cutting cheese,but could not use it as it did not cut strait.I had a look at it and found it was for left handed use,this was ideal for me being left handed.So I ask her to get another one,but the shop had sent them back saying they were faulty,some people just do not know what they are selling
      ps the wife is right handed.

9. Jane Minto says:

Brooms and mops have a handle that screws into the brush or mop head. I find, as a lefty I unscrew the head when using them, rather than tightening it as a righty would. Any suggestions?

10. Donna says:

Can anyone Help? I have a 7 yr old son who for a while wrote with either hand but in the last 2 yrs he has been left handed, I’m always being pulled aside and told my son’s handwriting is not good enough ( which can be quite upsetting for both of us ) even though he is having trouble with his handwriting his teacher is still adding the pressure of joint up writing, which he is finding very hard. Is there anyone out there that can suggest anything.
    Thanks

• john proud says:

G’day i’m 75 when a child the pen was tied to my right hand and forced to right handed now I right both hands or backwards or upside down or both hands at the same time have him find a style that is easy for him to right weather leaning left or right or straight up and down he can change later

• Dr Billy Levin says:

See an expert neurologist who will explain everything about being left handed including why the writing is not good,

11. Mike Maunders says:

Any thoughts on the new Kindle …. appears to be for non left-handers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010EK1GOE/ref=pe_2118791_128044581_pe_bottom_ups

Cheers

Mike

12. B says:

Do all left handers eat with their left hand?I do, and I wanted to know if they teach themselves to use their right hand when they go to foreign countries where it’s disrespectful to eat with the left hand.

• Suzie gallagher says:

I was made to eat right handed at school, as i would nudge people if i ate left handed. (apparently). So now with knife and fork i eat right handed, just spoon obviously left. But my 3 right handed children eat left handed.??!!

13. Terry says:

Why is it that in the video for the calendar the person giving the demonstration is right-handed?
    Wouldn’t you want to promote the item by having a lefty take the item out of its box, set it up, turn the pages, etc.
    Clearly, this guy is right-handed.
    I am disappointed in the choice you’ve made.

14. richard bamsey says:

I was at art college in the 60’s and they thourght they would teach us all calligraphy, half of us were LH so they gave up. If you want to comment by the way spelling is not something some of us are good at, we get by, without the spell checker I might say selibrate.
    Love Spud

15. Scottie says:

I was lucky to be born to a left-handed mother, who had first hand knowledge of what happens when a child is forced to be right-handed. One of her brothers was left-handed and was forced to change. My mother said that it changed his moods and made him more sullen. Her mother wouldn’t let them change her, but she did change the way she faced the paper she would be writing on. She developed the upside-down writing style of most left-handers. I, for one, face the paper in the direction that a left-handed person should, so I don’t have that smudge. But, I did have to learn to use items that were designed for right-handed people and used them left-handed. But, I am glad there is a place that offers products for left-handed people. Hurrah for all left-handers.

16. Barry Whiting says:

Having been in the voluntary sector for many years supporting parents of children with special educational needs, I am amaized that lefthandedness is not taken more notice of in schools. My expertise is with dyslexia but my experience has shown that being an unrecognised (or ignored) lefthander can be just as much a disability as dyslexia. The same self esteem issues apply and the failure to reach potential can be the same. Do keep looking for unrecognised lh and continue spreading the word. That lefthanded child, once lh is recognised, could go on to be someone important. Be proud that you helped rather than one who walked by on the other side!

• Rachel Breakspear says:

Barry Whiting : I absolutely agree ! I think education is outdated and over powered by one particular teaching professional who’s made a fortune from selling her educational books. I think far too much thinking power is wasted mulling over teaching and learning strategies and styles that are not scientifically proven, although the V A R.K learning styles is a good theory, sadly that’s all it is, just a theory. What science knowns is simply this we lefties think using a different side of our brains to right handed people however, no dought the majority of teachers in our schools are right handers, unknowingly imposing their very own preferred right handed learning style on their unsuspecting left handed pupils. This applies to all teachers regardless of the hand they use, fact is our children will never be equals in the classroom because let’s face it, what are the chances the teacher is ambidextrous ? Pretty slim I’d say. One will always excel above the other depending on their teacher until we make education listen and stop pushing the issue under the carpet. We are supposed to be a nation that embraces equality and celebrates diversity and education is meant to be accessible to all, not to us it ain’t

17. Sven T says:

Hello. I’m Sven.
    I am 53 years old and a leftie.
    This month’s discovery:
    Cling foil and aluminium rolls are designed for right hand use.
    If You tear it off with a back hand twist as a leftie it will work so much easier.

18. Inara says:

Hi guys! I feel so trapped as I am always stuck in a society of right handed people, I got the new left handed writing pad and it’s much more easier I really felt more comfortable, I don’t know how I’m left handed since no one in my family is

19. Gabrelle says:

I CAN DO IT TOO!!!!! Although it freaked out my teachers, i was 10 and i unconsciously did it in an exam.

20. Sue R says:

I am from a right-handed family; and my handwriting at eleven years old was dreadful; then, moving schools, I found 8 of us in class of 24 were left-handed. THIS school insisted that we all used left-handed nibs; and gave details of your store in Beak Street. My handwriting instantly improved! I was also able to have the paper upright on the desk, in front of me.Later, working in Central London, I visited the shop and stocked the kitchen with left-handed scissors. I also have left-handed rulers.Within the last two days, I have given the address of this website to two parents, with pre-teen lefties … who are ‘finding it difficult’ to write clearly. My sister has also been recommending your starter pack to the parent of a small child. She only knew about the web-site because I had been to the shop.The only thing which I do right-handed is to eat with a knife and fork: it was too late to change this habit, by the time I heard of you.

21. Robin says:

So my dad told me that when I started kindergarten when I was little. The people working there told him that they thought that I was retarded cause I couldn’t use the scissors correctly and so on… So then he asked them if the knew that I was left-handed. And the answer is ofc: “No!”. And this was around 1998-2000.And one funny thing is that im still the only left-handed person in my class, people still ask me today if I’m left-handed.

22. augusto says:

Hi, I write because I like to sale their products in Argentina .i Need to know the price for large purchases and how long to get these products in my Countrythanks

23. Lynne Tootill says:

I am a left handed textiles teacher.. Has anyone ever noticed that to thread a sewing machine you can thread it much more easily if you are left handed.. I wonder if the inventor was a lefty.
    When I point this out to my students the right handers complain that a right handed sewing machine need to be available.
    The left handers just smile knowingly…

24. CheekyGee says:

I am the only left hander in my family. Both of my siblings and mother are right handers. My dad was ambi-dexterous. I was also born a dislocated left leg and remained dislocated for over 3 months after non-stop specialists in figuring out what to do with my dislocated left leg due to fear of delay in walking. This same fear was implanted in my parents’ mind who are both in the same medical field as nurses – LOL! One morning, my dad had the idea of pinching my left leg in the midst of a nappy change and I apparently kicked hard enough to pop my left leg back into place. To prove the specialists are wrong of their fear, I was walking unassisted before my first birthday. As an adult, I have a party trick of dislocating my left leg and kicking it back into place with no pain at all.Left handers have to be adaptable in a right handed pre-dominate world – as if we have any choice in it anyway. I am grateful that no one even attempted to try and change my leftiness. In fact, my dad taught and encouraged me to embrace it wholeheartedly without prejudice. Everyone is different in their own way – left or right handed.As a left hander, I have experienced “accidents” on my right side (non-dominate side) such as my motorbike and car accident, and minor sport injuries – thank god no broken bones yet!.But growing up in right handed dominate society, people do have the tendency to be fascinated, admire or hate you either way even if you are left or right handed. I guess, it really comes back down to people’s understanding and tolerance.So cheers to my fellow left handers.

25. MLK says:

I need help for my 6 years old son. He is left handed and has just started primary school.
    I need suggestions about orginazing his table and need some tips to help his writing skills.

26. Wu says:

Being proud of being a lefty is not good. I warn you all. Pride destroys my life with my love and relationship. To the point, left hand controls the right brain and emotion. I shouted at my boyfriend. I was easy to get angry. I destroy my love and relationship. Now I cry everynight and regret. I want to turn back the time and fix. God please give mercy. I want my love one back.