Left handed myths and misunderstandings
It is NOT a myth that left-handers have trouble with all sorts of everyday articles and tools. Have a look at our range of fully left-handed items to see how we can help solve the problems.
Left-handers do tend to do badly whenever there is any talk of superstition or things that cannot be understood.
|Folklore and Superstitions
Superstitions that are IN FAVOUR of Lefties
For thousands of years, the Devil has been associated with the left hand in various ways and is normally portrayed as being left-handed in pictures and other images. In the seventeenth century it was thought that the Devil baptised his followers with his left-hand and there are many references in superstitions to the "left-hand side" being associated with evil. As an example, in France it was held that witches greet Satan "avec le bras gauche" or with the left hand. It is also considered that we can only see ghosts if we look over our left shoulder and that the Devil watches us over the left shoulder.
- Evil spirits lurk over the left shoulder - throw salt over this shoulder to ward them off. In Roman times, salt was a very valuable commodity, giving rise to the word "salary" and was considered a form of money at the time. If salt was spilled, that was considered very bad luck, that could only be avoided by throwing some of the spilled salt over your left shoulder to placate the devil.
- Joan of Arc (burned at the stake in 1431 for being a heretic and a witch) was not necessarily left-handed, she may have been depicted in this way to make her seem evil.
- Getting out of bed with the left foot first means that you will have a bad day and be bad tempered . i.e. getting out of bed the wrong side.
- A ringing in the right ear means that someone is praising you. In the left ear it means that someone is cursing or maligning you.
- An itchy right palm means that you will receive money. An itchy left palm means you will have to give money.
- Wedding rings worn on the third finger of the left hand originated with the Greeks and Romans, who wore them to fend of evil associated with the left-hand
- The Romans originally considered the left to be the lucky side and used for augury. However, they later changed back to the Greek methods and favoured the right-hand side.
- The right hand often symbolises 'male' while the left hand is 'female'.
- If you hear the sound of a cuckoo from the right it will be a lucky year. If the sound comes from the left it will be unlucky.
- The Meru people of Kenya believed that the left-hand of their holy man has such evil power that he had to keep it hidden for the safety of others.
- If your right eye twitches you will see a friend, if it's your left eye that twitches you'll see an enemy.
- When dressmaking it's believed to be bad luck to sew the left-hand sleeve onto a garment before the right sleeve.
- When leaving to go on a journey, if your right foot itches you're bound to have a good journey. If your left foot itches it will end in sorrow.
- It is thought to be bad luck to pass a drink to another person with your left-hand or anti-clockwise around a table.
- Anyone who digs coal out of the ground from under his or her left foot in the Spring will have very good luck.
- If you apply an ointment with the forefinger of the right hand the sore will not heal. This is because this finger is said to be the 'poison' finger.
- The ancient Zuni tribe considered left-handedness a sign of good luck. They believed the left was the older and wiser
- Passing or pouring wine with the left hand leads to bad luck.
- A left-handed toast is tantamount to a curse on the victim.
- Driving on the left - started so that horse riders could use their whips in the right-hand to fend off other road users - see more about this
- Christianity is strongly based towards the right hand. It is the right had that gives the blessing and make the sign of the cross.
- On one count, the bible contains over 100 favourable reference to the right-hand and 25 unfavourable references to the left-hand. E.g.: The right hand of the lord doeth valiantly, the right hand of the lord is exalted (Psalm 118 vv15,16)
- The left hand does worst in the parable of the sheep and goats. The sheep are set on Christ's right hand and the goats on the left. Those on the right inherit the kingdom of god while those on the left depart into everlasting fire (to quote Matthew 25: verse 41: “Then he will say unto those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”)
- The situation is much the same in Judaism and Islam. In Islam, the left hand and everything associated with it is seen as unclean. This stems from the Middle Eastern custom of using the left-hand and water instead of toilet paper and, more recently, of using the left handed to hold toilet paper for the same function. This is the origin of the term "cack-handed"
- We have had a report that the majority of parrots are left-footed - does any one know anything about this or any other animal left-handed facts?
- There is also a report of polar bears being left-handed, but we need to get more information.
- Officials in Mensa, the high IQ society believe as many as 20% of their members are left-handed.
- The first recorded Siamese twins born in 1811 were joined at the waist. Their names? Chang and Eng, which simply meant 'Left and Right'
- The figurehead on the Cutty Sark is a left-handed witch.
- Studies have shown that left-handers are more likely to have allergies than right-handers - aahtishoooo!!
- Most left-handers, when drawing figures face them to the right.