Do left handers do business differently?
ALH owners Keith and Lauren (both left-handers of course!) have found over the years that left-handers in business do think differently and tackle problems in different ways. Our own surveys and the results of various research projects do seem to indicate that there are more successful left-handed entrepreneurs and business people than the percentage of lefthanders in the population would suggest.
|We think that people like Henry Ford (Ford Motor Company) and Bill Gates (Microsoft) succeeded as entrepreneurs in part because being left handed encouraged them to challenge convention and think differently to come up with creative solutions to problems.|
In recent years, psychologists have hypothesised that, rather than being a sign of awkwardness or evil, being left-handed may actually be a sign of a strong right brain and, as such, superior language skills and creativity. There are certain cognitive domains where left-handed people do seem to excel. One such area is called “divergent thinking,” or the ability to generate new ideas based on existing information which must be pretty useful if you are running a business. There are plenty of examples of successful business people that bear out these ideas.
5 left handed traits that help in business:
- High IQ
- Creative and “divergent” thinking (Research conducted by the American Journal of Psychology)
- Multitasking (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6212972.stm)
- Better memory (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lefties-may-possess-super/)
- Money making (http://www.pewresearch.org/2006/08/08/male-lefties-have-more-of-the-right-stuff/)
It doesn't really prove a point to trot out a list of famous lefties as there are sure to be many more famous right-handers who have been successful in business as well, but here are a few more well-known examples:
- Steve Jobs (Apple)
- Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook)
- Oprah Winfrey (TV presenter and billionaire businesswoman)
- Steve Forbes (Forbes Magazine)
- David Rockefeller
- Lou Gerstner (former head of IBM)
Sharing business success
If you are a left-hander and run a business of any type or are thinking about starting an online business, we would love to share what has worked for us in developing the Anything Left-Handed business and hear about any approaches, training, resources and tools that have worked for you. Just enter your details below and we will send you some more information by email.