Anything Left-Handed > Being LH Home

Welcome to our lefty information section

We have built up a huge library of information about lefthanders and being left-handed over the past 40 years and we are adding it all to this website so you can share it, add your own comments and advice and pass it on to others.

You can use the horizontal menu at the top to select product sections in our online shop or the Left-Handed Information menu to the right so find out more about Being Left Handed.

Index page for all of our surveys on left-handedness with analysis of results
(this is on our www.lefthandersday.com website - opens in a new browser tab)

Left Handed Shop

Shop

Click Shop Online then choose the product sections you want or use the search box to find things.

Left handed information

Information

This section - our pages about being left-handed. You can add comments to the pages and we will add relevant new material to our pages to keep them up to date.

UK Partner Shops

We have found UK based suppliers of left-handed and related products and put them all in one place for you

US Partner Stores

We have also found US based suppliers of left-handed and related products and put them all in one place.

Left handed blog

Blog

We write blog posts to highlight new items on the site and all sorts of small "news" items. Use the "News Categories" menu on the right and the "Latest Posts" section to browse posts.

Search for left handed information

Search

Search for information or products using one of the boxes above.

rss feed

Click the RSS News Feed at the top right to add our feed to your favourite Reader and you will be sent details of all new items that we add to the site.

Register to add comments

Questions?

Click here to see our page on how to get your questions answered

Join The Club

The Left Handers Club has been going since 1990 and we send a monthly email newsletter to all members.

left hand thumbs up

We love to get your feedback and a lot of the information and products we have created are as a direct result of requests from customers and site visitors.

134 comments on “Being LH Home
  1. noel elliott says:

as a left handed person,i must be unique as i have have never had any one commenting on me being a leftie,from school up to now,i am from a family of 8,and two of us are lefties,the things people commente don like opening and peeling things,but as i say no one has commented on me being a leftie,from what ive seen its us lefties that notice someone else is left handed.

2. Jennifer Hayes says:

Being a total leftie, there are several things that get my goat. I play computer games a lot and have to switch my mouse buttons to play them. There are several games which will not allow this option, so I can’t play them. Also, why do numerical keyboards (even the so called left-handed ones) have their numbers 1 2 3 instead of 3 2 1… I still can’t use them. I wrote mirror writing till I was about 9 years old so, very left handed! 😀

3. Priscilla Nichols says:

I grew up as a lefty not knowing any lefties anywhere in my family. I finally now have a left-handed granddaughter. When my grandma taught me to sew, she’d complain because I’d chew up fabric when I tried to cut it. It finally occurred to her that it might be because I’m left-handed. She bought me a pair of left-handed scissors. This was in the 60’s. I presuming it wasn’t easy for her to find them! Anyway, that
    took care of the problem. I was no longer chewing up the fabric!

4. Jim Story says:

66 yr old lefty. My Great grandmother who died at 89 back in 1959 couldn’t remember anyone in the family being a lefty. Growing up in a “right handed” world did do one thing for me, I’m ambidexterous. (Though not a good speller). Almost anything I do I can use either hand even though there are some strictly left handed things. The most important one is eating… If I ever break my left arm I’ll starve to death…..I do a lot of mechanical things and it amazes people when I change a wrench from hand to hand and back… Lefties will understand.. It’s a left handed thing……

5. Lesley says:

I am left handed and have never given it a great deal of thought! I have learned to get on with it! Tin openers are a pain as are potato peelers but as the only left handed person in my family I adapted. Peeling potatoes away from me, cutting out dresses adding a bit more seam allowance! The list goes on!!! The best feeling is playing sport, especially tennis! Right handlers hate us because we are difficult to play against and as for rounders……….

6. Jim Crutchfield says:

What gets /me/ indignant is the way manufacturers and vendors get away with selling right-handed scissors as “ambidextrous” or “designed for right- or left-handed use”, just because they have handles that lefties can use without acute pain. It’s false and discriminatory, and I’m confident that it causes a lot of lefties, who don’t understand how scissors work, to waste money on scissors that won’t work properly for them, and to believe that the poor results they get with them are simply universal, or their own fault.

Even manufacturers that offer a few true left-handed scissors, such as Fiskars, also sell these fake “left-or-right” products, which presumably fool enough lefties for the manufacturers to feel little or no pressure to offer true left-handed versions of many of their most useful products, such as kitchen shears and shop shears.

I’ve been writing to manufacturers, pointing out this discrimination and asking them to offer true left-handed versions of their right-handed products, and one or two have actually responded positively–though of course they’ve made no promises. I encourage all my fellow lefties to do the same. Perhaps the Left Handers Club could organize a co-ordinated effort?

• Samantha says:

I strongly agree with you.
      “Designed for right or left handed use” by Fiskars is a total LIE. I cannot even believe they say that!
      I’ve never had true lefty scissors. Anyone know where they are cheapest to get? (I’m thinking Wal-mart… 😛 )

7. Jim Crutchfield says:

As a lefty who plays the guitar, I sympathize with Karl, but I think his indignation is misplaced. Jamie Anderson’s reasons are all good and all true. They may not be sufficient, but that’s a matter of opinion. They would best be answered by another list of reasons why a left-handed persons should get a left-handed guitar, not cries of “discrimination!”.

I play right-handed for many reasons, including several of the ones Ms. Anderson gives, but mainly because I started out on the five-string banjo as a teenager. Left-handed five-string banjos are (or were in the 1970s) rare and extremely expensive, and my family couldn’t even afford a good right-handed one for me. I learned to play on a cheap, right-handed, department-store instrument, but it was better than nothing, which is what I’d have had if I’d insisted on a left-handed instrument.

When I decided to take up the guitar, I was well into my thirties, and I decided I was too old to retrain my hands for left-handed playing, so I got a right-handed guitar. That may have been a mistake, but it definitely made it easier for me to reach a minimal level of competence with the instrument.

I’ve never gotten to be much good on either the banjo or the guitar, but that may have as much to do with my aversion to practicing as it has with my decision to play right-handed. I suspect, however, that, even if I practiced diligently, I’d never have the speed and co-ordination with my right hand that I might have had with my left.

The one point on which I think Ms. Anderson is flat wrong is no. 2, in which she suggests that it doesn’t really make any difference whether one plays right-handed or left-handed. Right-handed guitars (and other stringed instruments) are built as they are for a reason: they’re easier for the vast majority of people–i.e., right-handers–to play. Yes, both hands need strength, agility, speed, and precision; but the hand that sounds the strings needs more of the latter three, and it will always be easier for a player to develop those attributes in the dominant hand. (There are truly ambidextrous people, I gather, but they’re so rare that there’s really no point in bringing them into the discussion. Most people who get called “ambidextrous” are simply folks who have learned to use their non-dominant hands very well in certain tasks.)

The ideal thing would be for left-handed players to learn to play both right-handed and left-handed instruments from an early age; but that’s a pretty expensive proposition, and it’s a lot to ask of a kid. I think Hendrix may have done it (or maybe he just learned to play both kinds of guitar left-handed), but I don’t know of any other great players who managed it. Most of us have had to pick one or the other. Libba Cotton taught herself to play a right-handed guitar turned upside-down. Dick Dale did the same thing. Don Everly learned to play right-handed–he says his right-handed guitarist father told him he had to: “They’ll call you lefty otherwise.” Paul McCartney learned to play on a left-handed guitar, then switched to the left-handed bass. Playing left-handed never held him back all that much, as far as I can tell.

8. karl says:

I found this on a Canadian site by a female music teacher Jamie Anderson. All you Canadian Leftys should get on to her site and let her know how discriminitary her comments are and how out of step she is with the rest of the music world.

Eight reasons why a left-handed person should get a standard guitar

Posted on October 11, 2012

If you already play a left-handed guitar, go for it. It’s not that it’s inherently wrong. Some of the best guitar players on the planet, like Elizabeth Cotten and Jimi Hendrix, played that way. But, if you’re just starting out, I’ll give you a few reasons why a standard guitar ( right-handed”) is going to work better for you.

1. Left handed guitars are harder to find and are usually more expensive.

2. You’re demanding a lot out of both hands. It doesn’t matter which hand you use in other situations. If we’re really being honest, ambidextrous people are the ones who have the advantage. The rest of us have to train our less-dominant hands to either press down the strings hard enough for a clear tone, or strum and pick with accuracy. Both parts can be challenging, especially for a beginner.

3. If you borrow a guitar, most likely it’s a standard guitar. If you’re used to a left-handed guitar then you’re stuck, unless you learned to play upside down, too, like Cotten did.

4. Most instructional material is for those who play a standard guitar. While left-handed guitar players can use it, it can be confusing.

5. You can’t simply restring a standard guitar. The bracing and pick guard are set up to play it the other way. You can seriously damage a guitar by stringing it the wrong way.

6. If you want to learn another stringed instrument, it’ll be more difficult than finding a left-handed guitar. Many guitar players go on to play other stringed instruments. Makes sense since you need the same kind of skills to play them. Once you build up the strength and flexibility to play the guitar, it’s fairly easy to move on to the mandolin, ukulele, banjo or whatever else you want.

7. It’s harder for other players to follow you. If you’re at a jam and everyone is watching you for the chord changes, you’re going to make their brains sweat.

8. You won’t bang into your bandmates. You’re laughing, but I’ve seen it happen. Most musicians don’t expect that long neck to be hanging out on the right side.

• Bob says:

Libba Cotten held her guitar like a lefty, but it was strung right handed. She flipped a right handed guitar over. I was looking at some sites about her today. Someone on here reminded me that Dick Dale does the same thing. I will have to look into that. I saw him play and wish I had payed more attention to his technique.

9. Keef says:

I have been left-handed when writing all my life and playing guitar. I play golf, tennis, cricket right handed though. My step-father is also left handed however it was not his influence that casused me to be left-handed even though he has been in my life since I was 6. However 3 years ago I discovered, and finally met, an older half-brother (in his 70’s) whom had the same father ( he died just after my birth) as me. Interesting to discover that he is also left-handed! It appears to be a genetic thing.

10. Andrew says:

I am the only lefty in my family. My parents and brother are all right handed. I was never forced to change hands at school or home. I am now married to a fellow lefty and all our kids are left handed(3, two boys and a girl). My wife is the only lefty in her family as well. My writing leans to the right slightly without the hook hand even though I tilt the page like a left hander would. My kids all write like me.

11. Indy says:

Hello! I’m a lefty:D And I litterally write upside down, all the teachers and people at school are AMAZED.The teachers always say they’ve never seen a student wirte like me before. My friends call it MEGA FAST calligraphy. And I don’t understand why:’) Because it just looks normal! However I do accept the fact that it is upside down, like 180 degree’s :’) But my History teacher just takes the mick:’D And in primary school, teachers would be like ‘turn your book the right way round’ and i’d be like ‘its how i right…’ and they’d always tell me off:/ But in secondary school they accept me!haha:’) But yeah, can anyone let me know if they do this as well? Because at the moment I feel special && like a freak:’D

• Bob says:

Sounds logical to me! It would help you from getting ink on your hand, plus pens are designed to pull along, whereas most of us push the ball. Great idea! I might have to try it sometime. Just for amusement, I don’t think I would adopt it this late in life. LOL

12. David Paasch says:

We really enjoy the Left-Handed site. My wife and I are both left handed and so was our Mothers. When we had our first kids (Twin Boys) the doctor said they were identical
    When they learned to write, one was right handed and one left handed. We asked the doctor and he said that is another sign of identical. When facing each other, their writing hand is on the same side..
    Well, it was funny, when they grew up and married, the son that is left handed had right handed kids and the right handed one had left handed kids. Then Our daughter married a left handed man and their kids are both left handed. She says she is the only right one in her family!!! One our favorite plaques to show people is the one that says, You are born left handed and you turn right handed when you commit your first sin. (Right handers never enjoy this!)

13. Greer Fay says:

My mother got a letter from a neurologist attesting to the possibility that forcing me to write with my right hand could be harmful to my brain. The school accepted the neurologist’s opinion, and from then on I was permitted to write with my left hand, but unlike most lefties, because I had previously been forced to write with my right hand, I do not bend my wrist towards the page and the act of writing does not look as if it’s being done upside down. Also I’ve noticed that while most left handers have very scratchy handwriting which is difficult to decipher, my writing for whatever reason is legible and even sufficiently attractive as to elicit compliments. The initial childhood experience at school has made me partially ambidextrous, plus the fact that although my mother could accept and even encourage the fact that I was naturally left handed, she stopped short when it came to table manners and forced me to eat with the fork in my left hand and the knife in my right. I’m ambidextrous when it comes to soup, and if the spoon is closer to my left hand, I will pick it up with my left hand and use it accordingly, and if it’s closer to my right hand, then I will use it in a way that would please my mother.
    I have a left handed cousin whose mother was more liberal than mine and allowed her to eat with the fork in the right hand and the knife in the left.
    However both of us knit like right handed people.

14. BridgetteMarie says:

I am a lefty and remember the second grade teacher telling the class that anyone who writes with their left hand will be hung on the flag pole. I didn’t change, but I have noticed and I have spoken to lefties who have trouble knowing their left from their right. The instruction to take a right often leads to taking a left. I spoke to a co-worker whose husband is a lefty and she said the same thing. Also I have to think which is left and right, but I can point in the direction I want to go, I just have think to verbalize it. I have read that stuttering can be caused by forcing lefties to fight handed. Their “wires and signals” get crossed when forcing them to go against their normal inclination.

Years ago I read lots of books about being left handed. MIT has a higher percentage of southpaws than the general population. They are/were the best 10 pin bowlers. There are a high percentage of top athletes who are lefties. If I recall quite a few scientists are lefties… Einstein I believe.

15. Bernard says:

I am right handed when I write but I always use my left hand when I:
    -deal cards and any document
    -play cards
    -fasten my trousers belt
    -clap (the left hand is above and moves)
    -count on my fingers
    -pick up things on a table and put them in the other hand
    -wipe my face with a cloth
    -do knots (sew, for example)

and also
    -I breathe on the left side when I swim crawl
    -I cross my arms with the left one above the other

What am I ?

16. kaumila says:

my father is also a lefthander . he has 13 sisiters and brothers(all to gether). among them another one is lefthander (fathers younger brother). In my family me and my father are onlylefties

17. kaumila says:

lefthanders are good in mathematics. is that write or wrong

• Clare says:

I was rubbish at maths at school, but I am also epileptic, so I suspect the medication dumbed me down. I did really well at college and got degree level equivalent in maths so obviously I must be OK at it now

18. Shima from Malaysia says:

My mom always find it weird the way I peel off a fruit, I also don’t know how to use a chopstick. But when people praise me for the artwork that I did, I knew it because I’m a lefthanded. Just got to know their a Lefthander’s day..cool . I wish I knew it long time ago

19. Chandrakant Trivedi says:

I am lefty from my childhood.My parent does not stress me for right hand activities. I never felt any problem being lefty.It does not matter you are righty or lefty.As all programmes are fed in your neurotransmitter of brain as per your requirements. So it simply takes and pass on signals normally. and biologically it is clocked in nicely so no disturbances are found in lefty order too.I am not facing any problem still at the age of 63 years.

20. Carole Lavine says:

Lefties with brain damage are right handed. I am 79 and lived thrrough the era of “converting” lefties to the right handed world. Think about it – table settings are really convenient for us, forks on the left and knives on the right. the most used keys on the keyboard are on the left side. The only things I do right handed are ironing – because of the way things were set up when I was a kid and fire a rifle. I love being left handed it makes me unique.

21. Feliciano says:

Hola soy un nuevo miembro, soy Español. Perdón por escribir no escribir en Inglés pero me expreso muy mal en este idioma. Estoy encantado con que exista un club para los zurdos, yo realizo todas mis actividades con la mano izquierda excepto comer y escribir (fui obligado de pequeño a utilizar la mano derecha). Yo tengo 50 años de edad.
    Saludos a todos y buen día.

22. sajith says:

I am a left handed.But it is not a problem when I work.I use my left hand for writing,playing cricket.

23. Percy says:

I am half/left handed. I write and eat with left, but throw, and shave right handed. My brother 13 yrs. younger is strictly left handed and so is His wife. I use to bowl several years back-right handed; never learned to do it with my left. when I was 13, played baseball with other boys, could only throw right hand, but could bat either right or left. I am 74.

24. Eric says:

I’m a new member. Just dowloaded my certification. Will hang it up proudly. My wife thinks that this is really silly. Damn those righties.

25. Merlien says:

When my new boss found out that I was left-handed he orderd a left-handed computer keybord, how coul is that! I never understood what those number keys on the right side where for, but on my left-handed keybord they are on the left side so I can finally use them! Proud to be a leftie!!!

26. Phil Brzezinski says:

I learned to play guitar right handed many years ago, and still play that way, but have a nephew who learned to play left handed. I’d like to hear from someone who learned righty but switched to lefty. Was it easy to do? I’ve heard that you could IMPROVE your playing ability switching over to left (correct) handed.

BTW; Jimi Hendrix played BOTH ways!!! He was that good!!

27. Amy says:

I was the only leftie growing up and even though I have 3 children I am still the only leftie in my family. My granddaughter is 8 weeks old and I’m hoping she is just as special as us too!

Go Left Power!!

• Merlien says:

My father (81) is a lefty but had to learn to write with his right hand. My grandmother on my mothers side was a lefty but also had to learn to write with her right hand. When they were children it was more or less forbidden to write with your left hand in the Netherlands, they even tied up your left hand on your back so you could not use it. My grandmother could write with both hands and even do mirror writing with one hand while she wrote normal with her other hand! So I had leftys in my family but I was the only one to realy use it. When my doughter was born I silently hoped she would be a lefty, but she’s not. So I understand your feeling!

28. Sue says:

I have always been told, I am in a right handed world sometimes it stinks trying to do things set up for right handed people

29. Margaret says:

I’m left-handed and love it! I love it when people tells me I’m left-handed! lol! I’m in my 40s and it still happens, oh and I have only one dimple, so they inform me of this almost everytime I smile! (which is a lot because I’m a proud left-hander!) lol!

My dad and 3 of my brothers are left-handed. I am the only left-handed girl of my parents’ 6 daughters! How special is that!!! 🙂

Happy Left-Handers’ Day!!

30. Vera says:

Hello lefties all over the world. Of nine children, I am the oldest and they only one that is left handed, and proud of it. I never felt different but knew there was something different about me when I had a hard time trying to do certain things when it felt akward I learned to make it easier for me and not look akward to the righties. I thank god that no one tried to change me I know I was blessed and everyone like me.